Tuesday 13 October 2009

Up To Chapter 9

Mixed feelings on this section. If I'm honest I found the ship log I bit...predictable. It seems odd to me that they did not check the boxes earlier since it seemed to me the only possible hideaway for Dracula.
As for Lucy I found her behaviour increasingly odd but I loved the way they used dramatic irony as we knew it was Dracula on their favourite seat but Mina doesn't know. The teeth marks are brillianlty done since Mina regards them as a tiny detail and yet we know it to be far more important- again this shows the true effect of a diary since I expect her to find out that these are far more important later on in the novel. Finally I was shocked about Jonathan!! I expected him to be dead but it appears he is not...or is he? As of yet we don't have any real proof do we? Therefore I am not sure that Mina will see him again but ishe does I can't believe that he will be the same man.

1 comment:

  1. But why would they have checked the boxes? They are, after all, a shipping company. They take boxes from one place to another all the time, so why would they expect anything different this time?

    I agree with you re the teeth mark though - it is a clever use of dramatic irony - once again the character assigns the event to an explainable issue - the safety pin, while we know that there's a more sinister work in progress. Incidentally, why a safety pin and not a brooch? Well... the safety pin as we know it was only invented in America in 1849 - another fairly recent invention!

    ReplyDelete