Tuesday 29 September 2009

Harker's Death

I've now read up to chapter 4 and found it interesting. It was a tragic end but still a good way to end Harker's life. I wasn't hoiwever prepared for Harker's death so early on in the book. It supports my theory in my first post that the book is dedicated to being very dark and gruesome. One thing however, that supports all we know about the gothic genre is when he describes Dracula smiling at kissing his hand as like Judas. While it is used as treachery it does emphasize religion. I do, again, have a question. Why did Harker remain so long in Dracula's presence? Was his job that important to him? Dracula's lack of a reflection would have been enough to make me run a mile and so why did Harker risk his safety and ultimately his life for his job?

1 comment:

  1. Good questions - which I think I commented upon last time... although also, remember that by the time Harker discovers the reflection-less Drac, he has no way of leaving anyway! Interesting points about links to Judas - could you elaborate your idea?

    ReplyDelete